Friday, November 2, 2012

Bad Equitation In Art

Jacques-Louis David, 1800, Oil-on-Canvas. Caption added by yours truly.

Once a person starts teaching riding lessons looking and horse related art and movies with horse work becomes something of a trial. There was a time when I was young that I could watch horse movies and look at pretty horse pictures with wide-eye enthusiasm. Since I have had to begin teaching students to ride and have become a student of equitation myself find it more difficult to find the same wonderment in these former diversions. Perhaps it's the fact that my critical eye has been trained due to having to provided continuous feedback on people's riding. Perhaps I'm just older and more jaded. In any case my increase of knowledge pleases me, but at the same time I am sad that I have to put in a conscious effort to enjoy movies and art that I loved as a child. 

In any case I might make "Bad Equitation/Horsemanship In ______" a regular feature. Instead of picking on people on YouTube or Craigslist I will stick to art, movies, and media primarily. 

I can't wait to dive into Warhorse.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same affliction. I hesitate to watch "horsey" movies sometimes because I know I'm going to catch some annoying flaw. From what I remember though, War Horse was not too bad of an offender.

    Secretariat, though? You could tell the main actress was terrified of the horse and didn't want to get near it. And also, the fact that a physical problem was the LAST thing they looked for?!

    ReplyDelete