Thursday, January 17, 2013

Blog Hop

Trying this blog hop thing from The Collegial Equestrian.

Share a memory from:
  1. The first horse experience you can remember.
  2. Your first "aha" moment--when something really clicked for you as a rider.
  3. Entering the ring. Could be your first show, or another time when simply entering the arena could be considered a "debut" of sorts.
  4. The first horse experience you can remember.
      1.The first horse experience you can remember.
      In olden days when I was a wee lassie, there was, within walking distance from my humble childhood home, a pasture. Upon this fair grassy plane lived two horses. I didn't know their names I knew very little about them other than the fact that I loved them. Their smell, their wild unkempt manes. They where the most beautiful creature alive. I would plead with my father to take me to see the horses at every opportunity. My dad would let loose a mighty whistle and those magnificent creatures would come running for the carrots and apples that fence visitors promised.

      2.Your first "aha" moment--when something really clicked for you as a rider.
      My first horse was one I acquired as a driving horse I was told that he'd be too much horse for me under saddle. During one training session by beloved Fame threw a tantrum and the resulting fight between him and my trainer caused my horse to pass out and crash the buggy. At that point I was given an ultimatum. Get the horse to walk or give up my aspirations to show him. Hitherto Fame had kind of lead our relationship . I was a new horse owner and was still stuck in horses=sunshine, flowers, and good feelings mode. This was the first that I decided that I could be in charge of our herd. I work him in earnest and in secret. My trainer had pretty much giving up on my horse, I stepped up. I also began to ride the horse that I shouldn't have been able to ride.

      3.Entering the ring. Could be your first show, or another time when simply entering the arena could be considered a "debut" of sorts.
      This last year I showed for the first time since my beloved Fame had passed. The show occurred on the near anniversary of his death. It was a big deal for my. I was leasing a very big lovely expensive show horse. He was also the only horse I've been able to truly bond with since losing Famous. We took Open Pleasure Driving Champions in a field of six horses. Two Clydesdales, one Mini, and two other National Show Horses. It was a huge triumph for me and for the first few moments I felt like I was holding the lines of my old horse again.





2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog (thanks to the Hop) I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for doing the hop!

    Sometimes when you hear someone tell you you can't, or it's impossible, it just gives you the momentum to prove them wrong! It was nice to hear about your success driving with Fame.

    ReplyDelete